Clarks Bridge Under Construction

Date : November 12, 2013 | Author : admin | Category : Uncategorized
No Comments

Work has begun on construction of a new two lane bridge with bike-able shoulders and a pedestrian tunnel to replace the narrow 1958-built span over the Chattahoochee channel of Lake Lanier on Ga. 284 (Clarks Bridge). In mid-November contractor E.R. Snell, from Snellville, began building a temporary platform for workers to access the water to drill supports that will hold up the first state bridge built over the north Georgia lake since the early 1990s.

The new bridge is planned to be 40 feet wide with 12 feet wide lanes and an eight feet wide bike-able shoulder in each direction. It will be the same elevation as the existing bridge, which is just under 24 feet wide, with no shoulders. The new span will be located east of the current bridge, on the grandstand/tower side. The pedestrian tunnel is planned to be lighted and will divert foot traffic under the roadway, which gets congested during major regattas and public events at the Olympic Venue.

The $8,733,700 project is funded through GDOT’s funding normal formula with 80 percent of the cost paid from federal gas tax and remaining 20 percent from state gas tax, according to Pope.

Leave a Reply